Manor Hill Join's Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's Rockinâ Reader Program
We are happy to announce that Manor Hill has been selected by Cracker Barrel Old Country Store as a partner school in the Rockin' Reader program. Through this partnership with Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, our school has been able to transform the entrance of our school into a quaint, welcoming, and serene reading environment for our entire school community to enjoy.
Community leaders throughout Liberty helped in supporting our week-long kick-off by spending a portion of their day reading with our Manor Hill Patriots. All together, over 60 volunteers joined us in celebrating the start to this program. As we progress through the school year, we look forward to this unique area being used frequently by our many volunteers as they share quality time reading with students. If you are interested in participating in this program, please feel free to contact Principal Jeff Williams at 816.736.5460 or by email at email@example.com.
Volunteer Reading Tips
- Tell the child the name of the book, author, and illustrator.
- Discuss the illustration on the cover of the book. Have the child predict what the book is about based on the title and the book cover.
- As you read, keep your listener involved by occasionally asking, "What do you think is going to happen next?" Keep in mind that stopping to ask questions too many times will interrupt the flow of the story.
- Read in a voice that helps a child listen - not too quickly. Children need enough time to look at the pictures and think about what they are hearing.
- Read with lots of expression. Change your voice when reading the character's words.
- When you have finished, give the child time to react to the book. Ask questions that encourage more than a yes/no reply. Some examples would be: Tell me what you liked about the book. What did you think about the main characters? What was your favorite part of the story? Did this story remind you of other books you have read?
- Most importantly, have fun! Make this an enjoyable time for you and the child!